Thursday, August 20, 2015

Zucchini Bread

We always plant too many zucchinis. I ask the chief gardener for a two-plant limit. This year I think we had eight. Who eats that much zucchini?

The truth is, I'm not really a summer squash fan despite sauteing, grilling, and including in all kinds of casseroles. So what to do with all that veg? Bake with it!

This zucchini bread recipe is not your ordinary quick bread. It's sweet, very moist and studded with nuts.  In fact, it leans a bit towards a carrot cake. Which in my book, is awesome! I like using the oversized squash. As it gets bigger, the zucchini gets starchier which helps give the bread structure. And I like being able to use those big, funky squash.

In addition to great flavor, the bread freezes beautifully. Which makes this my preferred method for preserving zucchini. And it makes a big batch, in whatever size loaf pan you have. I use a combination of small and medium loaf pans. It makes four small and one medium loaf.

I prefer to peel the zucchini before using. The course peel can interfere with the crumb, lending a toughness to the bread. I've tried changing up the recipe with whole grain flour, but it turns out best with white, all purpose flour. Feel free to use your favorite nuts, or omit if you prefer. I like walnuts or pecans.


Thoroughly grease and flour loaf pans.

Prep zucchini: peel, quarter and remove seeds and pith.

Shred zucchini.

Make batter, stirring just until combined. Don't overmix.

Divide batter evenly between loaf pans.

Bake for 45 minutes to one hour, depending on the size of the pan.

Cool loaves 10 minutes and turn out of pans. I freeze most of this bread to
enjoy throughout the year.  I wrap in a layer each of wax paper and foil.

Once the bread is wrapped, I place the loaves in a zip-lock freezer
bag, then place in the freezer for a chilly nap.


Zucchini Bread
3 cups peeled, shredded zucchini, pithy seedy center removed
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups oil
4 eggs
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup nuts of your choice

In a large mixing bowl, combine zucchini, sugar, oil and eggs. Mix well. In another bowl, whisk together flour, soda, cinnamon and salt. Add flour mixture to zucchini. Mix just until combined. Stir in nuts.  Grease and flour loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min to 1 hour, depending on the size of the loaf pans. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Loosen by running a spatula around sides of pan. Wrap and freeze if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment